A review site for new and old books, comics, movies, and anything else worth mentioning from my very own corner of the world. Also featuring "The Animal Reviewers".
Sunday, October 3, 2010
Unmasked: The Final Years of Michael Jackson "review"
Book: Unmasked: The Final Years of Michael Jackson by Ian Halperin Release date: July 14, 2009
Excerpt: In late December 2008, Ian Halperin told the world that Michael Jackson had only six months to live. His investigations into Jackson's failing health made headlines around the globe. Six months later, the King of Pop was dead.
Whatever the final autopsy results reveal, it was greed that killed Michael Jackson. Friends and associates paint a tragic picture of the last years and days of his life as Jackson made desperate attempts to prepare for the planned concert series at London's 02 Arena in July 2009. These shows would have earned millions for the singer and his entourage, but he could never have completed them, not mentally, and not physically. Michael knew it and his advisors knew it. Anyone who caught even a fleeting glimpse of the frail old man hiding beneath the costumes and cosmetics would have understood that the London tour was madness. Why did it happen this way? After an intense five year investigation,New York Timesbestselling author Ian Halperin uncovers the real story of Michael Jackson's final years, a suspenseful and surprising thriller.
Review: First things first, i wasn't planning on reading this book. In face i've never heard of it till i saw it in the "new" shelves at my library. My curiosity then took over.
I am not of the Micheal Jackson generation. I was born in 1986 and frankly only heard of him in passing. I've heard his music, but never really paid much attention to the man. It wasn't till his second child molestation trail that i became knowledgeable of his life. Unfortunately because of this i have never been able to see him as the phenomenon as the world knew him.
I was deeply interested then in reading this book. The author did a lot of research and presented Micheal in a fair light. This book really has some incredible reveling facts about the singer though.
* Micheal Jackson was gay. He preferred teenage boys and young men. The author managed to track down numerous past lovers and a few even had private photos shown.
* John Travolta is gay. The author found this out by successfully infiltrating the Scientology religion. They highlight Travolta as proof that their cure for "homosexuality" works.
* It is more than likely the scienteology center arranged Michaels and Lisa Marie's marriage.
* Micheal contracted a lung disease called "Alpha 1" and had recently discovered he had skin cancer before he died.
* Micheal was highly depressed and told many people in his final months that he wanted to die.
* Chances are that because he was so weak and sickly he would have died sometime in the summer anyways.
* The two older kids are not biologically Micheal's.
And these are just some of the facts that Ian unraveled about his life. The book was a really good read and one that fills in some of the mystery of Micheal Jackson's life.
Rating: 4 bunnies. Interesting facts and presented an unbiased look on the performer.