Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Review

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K.Rowling
Release Date: June 2, 1999



I haven't read this book in awhile and decided to read it again. Even though this book isn't one of my top three favorite harry potter books it shall always be special for me. This is because this was the very first harry potter book i had ever read from. It all started with me wanting to read the series, but my parents convinced that it was "the devils book". Well i finally got too when i was fifteen. I was babysitting a set of twins and they were reading this book for a bedtime story. So of course they wanted me to read the next three chapters to them. I started with the chapter called "mudblood and murmers" and read all the way past the deathday party. I had to be corrected a few times on pronunciation, but i soon became hooked. I ended up re-starting the book at the very beginning when i put the twins to bed and read for the next two hours. As soon as i got home i told my parents that i had read part of the second book and planned on getting the rest. Needless to say there was nothing they could do about it since i had already started the series. The next night my father went out and got the first movie on dvd and the rest is history. ^^ So i can officially claim this book and a set of twins was my entrance into the Harry Potter fandom. I'm still the only one in my family that has read the books though. 

This Harry Potter is really set more to a mystery than many of the other books. I say this because for most of the book Harry, Ron, and Hermione are only getting small clues into the mystery of the chamber of secrets and petrified people. It also flows more like a mystery than the other. Something i find rather funny since i believe McGonagall mentions that harry potter can't resist following on a mystery. 

In relation to the other books this was really setting things up for books 5-7. You have the first horcrux, the first glimps at voldemort's past, the introduction of the founders objects, the information the voldemort put some of himself into harry which becomes pivotal to the main storyline, volde's love of snakes, the mention that harry believes Snape can read his mind, and if you want to stretch things the early mentioning of death eaters. 

In regards to my thought they still remain the same as i said in my review for the first book. After reading and being a fan of the series for so long i now see it as a whole. Therefore it shall always be loved and get five Bunnies from me.


 

0 comments: