Monday, August 9, 2010

The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt review

The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt
Release date: Nov, 1 2006



Excerpt:
There comes a time in a woman's life when she must do the unthinkable - and find employment. For the widowed Anna Wren, that means taking a job as female secretary for the Earl of Swartingham. Secretaries are always male - never female - as Anna well knows but the real downfall of her career is the realization that she is falling in love with Edward de Raaf - the Earl. But when she realizes that he is going to visit a brothel in London to take care of his 'manly' desires, Anna sees red - and decides to take advantage of the opportunity to also take care of her 'womanly' desires - with the Earl as her unknowing lover. But the Earl has another reason for going to London. He is formalising his betrothal and trying (with little success) to forget about a secretary that has no right being female. Unhandsome, he knows that no woman wants him. Except for the mysterious lady with whom he spent two unforgettable nights at Aphrodite's Grotto, the most scandalous brothel in London. But when Anna's plan is revealed, a bit of blackmail is thrown into the mix, a proposal is rejected and even the Earl himself will be unprepared for the intrigues that ensnare them.

Review:
This book is really giving me a love/ hate reaction. In some parts I really rather liked it. In others I rather loathed it. I have to admit this was a first for me in awhile. Normally I either really like it, think it's ok, or hate the book. Not have a complicated relationship with it. Many of these feelings stream from my reactions to the main characters Anna and Edward. This is because their actions in the book really make me want to strangle them sometimes, yet cheer in others. 

My hate of the book can be summed up in these plot points: 
1) Anne going to London merely to sleep with Edward. Does so in a way he didn't know it's her because she mets him at "Aphrodite's Grotto". The most dangerous and thrilling whore house in London. 

2)The way Edward acts towards her afterwards when he finds out. He basically starts to be an ass. He's pushy, overbearing, conceited, and believe's that if he acts sexy Anna will be seduced. What is with the name Edward that produces characters that i want to pulverize. 

3) Going off from of the last point Anna because's a willing sex toy. Then again is that so surprising considering what she did in point 1? 


My like of the book can be summed up in these points: 
1) Jock. Every time the dog came on screen i wanted to die laughing. 

2) The actual prostitutes that Anna befriends. Pearl and Coral were great additions. I really love how Peal gets together with the Hoppel, Edward's estate manager, at the end. It was so cute. Then Coral also get's her rightful place as head madame at Aphrodite's. 

3) The little bursts of wit we got now and then from Anna and Edward. They were a cute couple when one wasn't being an ass or an idiot. 

4) David and Viscount Iddesleigh. I love them both and really wish they were in the book more. 


Comparing my likes and dislikes together you can see why i have such a love/hate relation with the book. I give Elizabeth Hoyt great credit for giving me such a feeling. It takes a great writer to make you so emotionally invested in a book that you feel strong emotions towards the characters. The book also made me want to read the next two (someone put the leopard prince on book swamp please!!). Despite these things, I really can't give this book a higher rating than three bunnies. To do so would be dishonest since i clearly had a lot of issues with the main plot points of the story. 

So 3 Bunnies. 


 

2 comments:

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...[Reply to comment]

I loved your review here and many of your others (I felt the same exact way about What Happens in London too!) Your reviews are a refreshing - you're not afraid to say what you think, hence I'm following you now. I look forward to reading more of your reviews! Thanks for posting!

Sissa said...[Reply to comment]

Thanks Julie!! ^^