Saturday, August 14, 2010

"Shiver and Linger" by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver by by Maggie Stiefvater
Release Date:  Aug 1st, 2009


Excerpt:
For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again. 

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.


Review:
This book came off as a surprise. I really thought when i rented it from the library that it was just going to be another badly written and over hyped book. I just picked it up out of curiosity. Now i won't say i'm bowing at the feet of the author since it had some issues, but i was really impressed. Impressed enough that i'm definitely going to be reading the next book in the series and hope they make a movie adaptation of it. 

The premise of the book is basically when she was a young girl Grace got attacked by wolves and also ended up being saved by one. This particular wolf became her "special wolf" and she started forming a relationship with it. Years later after a follow high school student gets attacked and supposedly killed that Grace finally realizes the wolves aren't regular wolves, but werewolves. This is confirmed when she finds "her wolf" in human form naked and bleeding on her front desk. Thus the story really starts.

As i mentioned earlier i was impressed with the book. I thought Maggie's take on werewolves was quite original. And written in a way that they don't have to sparkle like a fairy and look like greek gods and goddess. Now i have to admit as i said earlier i found some flaws in the book. I think this is mostly because it's directed at a younger age group than myself. Therefore i found the writing to be a bit "simple" at times where i wanted more substance. I believe though if i was in my teens when i read this i would have given it five stars and gold sparkles. It's just a matter of more mature taste. 

Final rating: 4 Bunnies
. Good story, plot and characters, but not good enough to get five stars from me. 





Linger by by Maggie Stiefvater
Release Date: July 13. 2010



Excerpt:
In Maggie Stiefvater’s Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past…and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabel, who already lost her brother to the wolves…and is nonetheless drawn to Cole. At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love–the light and the dark, the warm and the cold–in a way you will never forget.

Review: 
Before i get to my review i'm going to say something up front. This book made me cry. No i didn't cry from the tragic love story. Nor any of the characters. I cried because of the deer and the bad memories it dragged up. I shall get to this later. 

I finished the book this morning and i have to wonder what happened? The first book was really good and entertaining. In this one i felt like i was reading a teen soap opera. Oh *puts hand to my fore head* the tragedy of not being able to sleep with you boyfriend every night. Oh the horror of being popular and famous. The agony of turning human and not knowing if it is going to last. Drama. Drama. Drama. 

How is it that characters i previously liked suddenly became shallow and a character cut out of the angst teen. Sam had no backbone. He was like "yes Grace. You're the smartest Grace. I kiss your freaking feet Grace". Grace was all to her parents "I hate you. You don't understand me". Runs away to Sam. Isabella was just Isabella though. I didn't like her that much in the other book. 

The only character i liked was Cole and i only liked him when he was using his brain. During the parts when he was dissecting the werewolf theory i was captivated. I couldn't put the book down. He really was the only redeeming character in the whole book. Funny thing is that it was his scene with the deer that made me cry. 

I cried because the deer dying brought back memories of previous bunnies i owned dying. I still remember their screams of agony and the hopelessness in their eyes. Then being completely helpless to do anything about it. I just couldn't enjoy the book after it. It made me upset as Cole was. It's amazing how a two page scene can ruin a book for you. 

Final rating: 3 Bunnies. 


 

* Cruddy review i know, but i deer scene really ruined the book for me. I think about it whenever i think of the book. 

2 comments:

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...[Reply to comment]

i looooove your bunny ranking system :) I have shiver but haven't read it yet, thanks for the great review!

Sissa said...[Reply to comment]

Thanks Carrie. ^^ I have six bunnies at home so i decided to use them as my raking system.